Friday, May 16, 2014

Hiatus vs Cancellation

I'm back. For good? Who can say? There is a sudden burst of desire to blog lately. Maybe 'blog' isn't the right word. Online journal? Perhaps this is more in-line with what my expectations are currently. Stagnation has absorbed the majority of the past 2 years. Let me rephrase, weight stagnation. Plateau. Boredom. Whatever. Life certainly hasn't been stagnant. Graduation, moving, break-ups, new job, new family members, loss of family members, travel, new relationships. Hardly stagnant. But, in the midst of all the mountains and valleys, the weight has remained within about 20 lbs. That sounds outrageous to some and even writing it makes it seem like a huge number. However, it is the truth. And, it hasn't been pretty. I have been able to lose 10 here, gain 5, lose 15, gain 10, etc., etc. Seriously, I've lost over 100 lbs; it's just the same 5-10 over and over! I say that lightly, but there is nothing light about the reality. It's extremely disheartening. Being honest, there were periods of extreme determination (loss) and then periods of apathy (minimal loss to gains), times of semi-determination (slight loss). But, nothing lasting. Nothing to get past the hump. Past the set-point. Ah. The Set-Point. I first heard this term in a nutrition class in 2007 and it has stuck with me. At that time, I was having great success with WW and hadn't reached my lowest set-point. It wasn't until I gained quite a bit of weight back that I realized no matter what I did, what I ate, how much I worked out, how many carbs I did/n't eat, etc., the weight wouldn't push past a certain number. I couldn't break the ceiling. Floor? You know what I mean. How have things changed? Have they changed? Let's wait to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment